Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Tasty Tuesday: DNA

Well, yesterday, I swabbed out Pallo's mouth, stuck the swabs into little swab-pouches, stuck those into an envelope with a sheet of paper with my contact information, and mailed the whole thing off.

That's right, I sent in Pallo's breed profile DNA test swabs. 

A handful of people had donated to this cause, one via the ChipIn on the right hand side of the page, the others in person at the park. Total, I have gotten about $15 towards the $70 DNA test. Then, after getting a $35 gift card to PetSmart, I spent some time looking around in the store. The clerks asked Pallo's breed, I said I charged a dollar for asking, they asked why, and when I said for breed profile DNA testing, they pointed out that they carry the same test I was wanting to buy online- the Wisdom Panel.

And then they gave me a dollar.

Their test was priced at $80, but had a $10 off coupon. Using the gift card, I paid $35 for the test. Couldn't resist it with it sitting right there.

Pallo was all sorts of excited when I called him over to me and started unwrapping the swabs. He thought for sure it was a big, tasty treat. He was less than thrilled when, instead of giving him a cookie, I peeled up his lip and swabbed at his mouth for fifteen seconds. He was even less thrilled when I repeated this same episode with the second swab. 

I then let the swabs air dry for five minutes (as per the instructions included), then placed them back into the sleeves. The sleeves with the swabs went into the included envelope along with some paperwork, and the entire thing was sealed up and placed in the mail. Once they receive the samples, the lab says to expect an up to three week wait for results. 

Basically, at the end of the month, I will know Pallo's breed make up. (Or at least, those breeds which the DNA test finds have a high probability of being part of his breed profile.) And I'm not going to tell you.

Or rather, not right away. I plan on telling the people who donated towards the test first. 

Don't worry, you still have a chance to Chip In if you want to be one of the first to know what crazy breed profile Pallo has. Is he is Vallhund mix for real? Does he have corgi in him? What about Chow Chow, German Shepherd, or some Jack Russel? I edited the Chip In to keep it open until May 25th, and to reflect the out-of-pocket price for the DNA test, minus what was paid using the gift card, which brings the total cost to $35. 

Have a great Tuesday!

4 comments:

  1. Woof! Woof! That's COOL! Keep us posted on the results. Happy Tasty Tuesday. Lots of Golden ALOHA n Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been fascinated by those tests since I first heard about them. I'm curious to see what the results are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog & all the great info on raw food & flyball. Everyone asks what kind of mix my flyball dog is. They guess german shepherd (fur color), elkhound (tightly curled tail and prick ears) or husky (face markings and curled tail). Some have even asked if she was part coyote. We finally did a DNA test because she doesn't act like those breeds. Turns out she's mostly herding dog (border collie and australian cattle dog). Now that we know ACD it all fits into place - and we struggle less with her non-stop energy and constant need for mental stimulation. I'm wondering what breeds of dog are in Pallo and whether doing your DNA test has made any difference to your lives.

    ReplyDelete