Friday, February 24, 2012

Over exposed

Least anyone think I am a flawless photographer of some kind, I will admit here and now, that I did not check the settings on my camera before starting to shoot. As a consequence, I ended up deleting 50+ photos that were way, way over exposed. 

However, I wanted to be a helpful DIY blogger as well. What to do if you have horribly overexposed pictures that seem like they might be able to be saved.

Well, you go over to Picnik, push some curves around (found under the advanced tab), maybe push around some of the levels if you are so inclined, and make it artsy, instead of a portrait.

This picture of blog visitor Lilly was totally blown out and over exposed. Almost all of the background and the bench was white at first glance. Pushing around the curves and levels a bit made the picture, if not portrait quality, at least something I find interestingly artistic (though I know some people still find it way too harsh to be pleasing to the eye).



This second one of Pallo happened not because I didn't check the camera settings, but because I messed with them in the wrong way. Same basic problem, it was totally washed out, over exposed, glaringly white and hurt the eyes to look at. Same method of using picnik (which I just used for the first time, by the way, and am now mad I didn't find it earlier), just curves and levels, and I have a funky picture of Pallo. Which I am kind of enjoying.


But then, you aren't forced to like my over exposed pictures that I attempted to salvage. I was just desperate to not have the whole photo shoot go to waste!

15 comments:

  1. Woof! Woof! The effects is really cool! My mom got a new camera and have the same issues. Happy Weekend! Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they're pretty cool! I've had a few pictures of Violet that were just screwed up beyond using a few times and figured what the heck, I'll tweak these heavily and see if I can at least get something cool in a weird, artsy way. And RIP Picnik. I have no idea what I'm going to do without it in April.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi just 'met' you via Saturday Blog Hop. Love your blog and I think your photography is very interesting and it makes me stop to really take it in. Hope you drop by http://MUTTeringsAndThings.com.blogspot and say hi.
    Reba Messina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over exposed pics can look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's another solution: live in a place where it's too overcast most of the winter for any photo to get over exposed. I think you did a great job altering those photos. Love the water color-like background and the flash of sunlight in the second.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to save the photos, it happens to ever one some times that they forget to check the settings :P I like the top photo better than your photo of Pallo, I think that's just because I personally prefer less saturated photos. But great job fiddling to save the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherry- Why do you think this happened to me? Because the clouds went away, and I forgot how to take photos in sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome idea! Helps you feel much better, too, about all those shots that otherwise would meet the delete fate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the one with Lilly on the bench, the way the shadow falls right over her eyes. Good save!

    I've recently started shooting more in manual. I'm not very good at it yet :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice recapture. I'll have to check out Picnik!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like both pictures! I'll never get sick of seeing pictures of dogs, but I like getting a different shot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I noticed the same thing Katie did - that photo of Lilly is brilliant with the way the shadow is cast over her eyes. It makes the wash out over the rest of the photo seem deliberate.

    I'm a really bad photographer and do a lot of "salvaging" of my photos. Thank goodness for Gimp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also, you've received the Versatile Blogger Award! :) Check it out on my blog.

    http://briannel.blogspot.com/2012/02/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. The consequence is cruel! 50 photos! That's a lot! Just do better next time, don't forget to check the camera settings again. :D


    Dog Fence for Any size yard.

    ReplyDelete