Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Food Post: Honey Sesame Chicken

Well, I've been putting so much effort into my dogs' food for the past week, I decided it was time to cook a good meal for myself.

Chicken thighs were pulled out of the freezer yesterday, so I decided to take a few of those, pan fry them, then finish them off in the over. It is something I love about cooking with cast iron pans, that they work equally well on stove top and in the oven. And, for the matter, on the wood stove, bbq, or over an open fire.

A Asian twist to dinner sounded good, so I started by toasting up some sesame seeds in the pan.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

After they were golden brown and starting to pop, I poured them out into a small bowl for later. Into the hot pan went some oil and the four chicken thighs. I let them sear a little on each side, then added Hot Chili Sesame Oil to them, let them cook a little more, then poured honey over the top, sprinkled them with toasted sesame seeds, and into the oven the whole pan went.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I pulled it out 40 minutes later and served it with a quick salad of chopped cabbage, grated carrots, and a salad dressing of rice vinegar, brown sugar, and milk.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Overall very satisfying meal. Unlike a good number of recipes I come up with on the spot, this one is a definite repeat, though next time I might put some hot oil and honey under the skins of the thighs as well so the flavor gets deeper into the meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment